I get a question a lot on tumblr that usually goes something like this… "Dear Fitabled, I want to start exercising and lose weight. Do you have any suggestions for a workout program to try?"
Now here’s the thing, I have a hard time with this because a lot of fitness programs out there just aren’t very good, or aren’t good for a beginner to start. You throw somebody into a popular program like Insanity without them ever having worked out before, and you are just going to get get injured, and discouraged.
If you want to know how I know this I’m a perfect example. Early on in my fitness journey I bought into Insanity, and gave it a shot. Spoiler alert I didn’t make it through the program. I ended up messing up my ankle trying to push myself to keep up with Shaun T’s sweaty yelling.
After getting my degree in Kinesiology, and becoming a personal trainer and, certified strength and conditioning specialist. I now know that people can do better than the beach body products shoved down their throats on tv. Also I know that a person starting a fitness and weight loss program for the first time needs a program tailored to their needs.
I know I can’t come train all of you so I’ve taken a lot of time and I’ve searched every corner of the fitness world to track down a program that I would feel comfortable recommending to somebody starting off trying to lose some weight.
I based my search on certain criteria. A fitness program I would recommend needed to be
- Geared toward people who are just starting out - meaning that it gave a proper education to those taking part in it and provided clear directions how to use the program safely and modify if needed.
- Possible to successfully complete - So many people drop out of fitness programs because they are too long and lead to failure. Even though your fitness journey will be a long one. Small victories make it possible to build confidence and a healthy lifestyle
- Created by certified and educated professionals - I believe very strongly in education. I would never suggest anybody join a program created by a non fitness professional.
- A based in reality - So many fitness programs make outlandish claims and make promises they can’t keep. A program must be able to work. So many people give up on losing weight because they try programs that are impossible to succeed with in the first place.
- Affordable - There will be time for a fitness fanatic to sink some serious cash into fitness. I know I have my share of weights and fitness equipment. But for somebody starting out it has to be something that anybody can afford.
It’s been about a month, and after doing a lot of research, contacting the creators of programs, and asking my peers about the programs they respect, I think I’m ready to fill you in on the program I feel is the best fitness weight loss program for beginners is
Now I know what many of you will say. “I’ve never heard of Torched in 20 before?”. Well unfortunately some of the best things in life don’t always get the most attention. (ex. Justin Beiber vs Any Artist You Like). But the plus side is right now you will get your chance to get on the ground floor hipster status and say that you were doing this program before it was cool.
Ok, so I’ll break down why this program took the top spot based on my 5 criteria categories.
- The program is totally geared to fit even the most hopeless beginner since unlike other programs that throw you into the fire it starts with manageable exercises and builds a base level of strength and endurance with before it increases the difficulty slowly each week.
- Let me tell you how much I love the amount of days the program lasts. So many programs arbitrarily choose 30, 60 , or 90 days. But unlike months which are fabricated measures of time, our lives are different. Research shows in order to change your habits it takes 20 days. The goal of any good beginner program would be to get you started with something that you can grow and maintain for life. The Torched in 20 program fitness this time frame perfectly giving you that first push into a fit life. What percent of beginners do you think make it through P90X’s 90 days? Not many. Most will give up in a week because the challenge is just too much to start with.
- Torched in 20 was created by Taylor Ryan and Her Husband Dan ( I know cute right?!?! ) Well both of them are certified personal trainers through NASM which is a certifying body which I respect greatly. You can’t pass their exam without seriously knowing your stuff. Taylor is also Certified Nutrition Consultant. Both combined have many years of experience training actual clients. They don’t just talk the talk they walk the walk.
- The Torched in 20 program uses circuit training as the basis of their program which is something I believe is very effective for people trying to lose weight and is something I use with my own clients. My favorite thing about this program is their focus on real weight loss. While other diets and programs focus on fooling you with water weight loss or other tricks to make you think it’s working. This program targets only losing actual fat and doesn’t try to fool you into thinking you can drop 5 pounds in a day.
- In terms of affordability I think the price point for the product is an awesome value. The entire program is only valued at $19.95 which is on par with or cheaper than most other fitness programs. It’s very reasonable considering all the program comes with (6 Weekly progressive workout plans, 6 weekly meal plans, Meal plan recipe guide, grocery lists, quick start guide, MP3 Interval Training Guides (This is a big one. You know how hard it is to have a good workout while having to keep track of what exercise is next and how much longer you have to go?) , and online video coaching so you can communicate directly with Taylor and Dan to get help with the program if you need it.
So there you have it. My recommendation for the best beginner fitness program on the market. I can go into way more detail about the program and why I like it. But this post is already way to long.
Good luck you guys thanks for reading! Hope this answers all of your questions, and remember you don’t have to wait till new years to make things happen!
This is fucking precious.
Foxes are weird. They’re like dogcats.
I ALMOST KILLED MY FAMILY MAKING PANCAKES THIS MORNING
with great value comes great responsibility
when you finally understand a hard question on a homework assignment
I hope this trend of using porn gifs for innocent text posts never stops.
HUMAN! CAN’T DO IT MYSELF! HELP!
I love this cat. He’s like, “omg please do the thing. do the thing where you touch my head andAAAA YES THANK YOUUUU”
this is my favorite cat gif
Ellen lays out the government shut down for anyone to understand.
BASICALLY SUMS IT UP
if you havent found yourself becoming hornier and sassier after being on tumblr then idk about you